Warnings were issued in advance to let residents know a severe storm encompassing a snowfall of 4-8 inches, blustery winds, near-blizzard conditions and bitterly cold temperatures was on its way. Not long after New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo did the same, New Jersey's Gov. Chris Christie ordered a statewide state of emergency Thursday afternoon and urged motorists to "stay off the roads."
- Jefferson Township Public Schools are closed Friday; after-school and evening events are cancelled.
- NJ Transit said it will cross-honor tickets systemwide through Friday. DeCamp Bus Lines officials say it will also cross-honor NJ Transit tickets.
- All sites for the Morris County Senior Nutrition program will be closed Friday because of the impending winter storm, officials announced Thursday.
- The county's home-delivered meal service will also be suspended for the day. In preparation for weather events, home-bound clients receive nonperishable meals to sustain them throughout the storm. Any home delivered meals scheduled for Saturday will occur as planned.
- Morris County Superior Court in Morristown will be closed.