'Ask The Attorney:' I Want To Build An Addition To My House But Was Denied

You want to add an extension to your home but have been denied by the building department. This is a basis primer on what you need to know in order to obtain a variance to do the job.

Dear “Ask the Attorney:" 

I want to renovate my home and build an extension, but the building department denied my application for a building permit and said I need a “variance”. What is a variance and how do I obtain one?  


Dear L.R: 

Every Municipality in New Jersey has a Zoning Ordinance which sets forth the various “zone districts” in the Town.  It also says what and where something can be built.  Let’s assume you want to build a deck onto the rear of your house and the Zoning Ordinance requires that the house must have a 50-foot setback – that is the house cannot be closer to the rear property line than 50 feet.  If the proposed deck will extend to the rear so that the distance to the rear property line would be 35 feet you would need to obtain a variance.  

First, you would file an application with the Board of Adjustment (in some towns, a Land Use Board) composed of Members appointed by the Mayor and the Governing Body. The procedure requires the filing of a plan showing the location of the proposed deck and what it will look like and a statement as to why you feel the variance should be granted. The criteria for the granting of a variance is set forth in a State Statute which can neither be enlarged nor diminished by the local Municipality in its Zoning Ordinance.

 Generally, the criteria for the granting of a variance depends on the type of variance you are seeking – the deck variance in this illustration would require proof that the premises are so unusual as to the topography or the size and shape of the lot that a hardship would be created if the variance was not granted. 

After the application, plan and fees have been filed, you would be notified of a hearing date before the Board and it would be your responsibility to file a legal notice in the required newspaper giving the location of the property, the variance sought, the time and place of the hearing and advising the public of their right to review the papers filed and to attend and be heard as to the application. In addition, a similar notice must be sent to all property owners within 200 feet of the property. 

At the hearing, you would testify under oath as to why the variance should be granted – showing compliance with the proofs required by the Statute to grant such a variance, Members of the Board would have the right to question you and members of the public would also have the right to question you. 

The Board would then discuss the case in public and vote to grant or deny the application. This would be done verbally and then reduced to a written resolution prepared by the Board’s attorney setting forth the factual and legal basis for the verbal action taken by the Board at the preceding meeting and would then be adopted by the Board at a public meeting.  

All of this can be done by a property owner with or without an attorney. If there is opposition to the application or it is a complicated application, I would recommend retaining an attorney experienced in these types of applications. 

Theodore E.B. Einhorn, Esq.

“Ask the Attorney” is a new blog in which answers to your legal questions
submitted to asktheattorney@einhornharris.com may be answered.  The answers to the questions are for informational purposes only and are not to be construed as legal advice or the creation of an attorney-client relationship.  The facts of each case is different, therefore you should seek competent legal representation. 

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.

Theodore E. B. Einhorn, Esq. January 27, 2012 at 08:55 PM
Mr. Lotito, It depends on the specific facts concerning your property. It appears that your property may have some limitations due to its nonconforming nature with current Municipal zoning ordinances. However, we suggest that you either speak with the construction department or zoning official in your town, or a competent attorney that may be able to review your survey and the zoning regulations to determine the answer to your specific situation. Good luck.
Thomas Lotito January 27, 2012 at 09:43 PM
Mr. Einhorn, I was told my lot was non conforming because my nearest neighbor was over 300 ft away. And I was told I need a variance because my house is not within the setback. In all honesty, I'm not to happy laying out $700 for an approval to restore the porch. I'm building the roof myself on a low budget. I'm restoring the look of an old farm house, not changing the blue print of the house. I know it is my best long term interests to comply with the zoning laws, but in my case I feel like I'm being taken advantage of by the building Dept. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Sincerely Tom Loitito
wtgodot January 31, 2012 at 01:13 AM
horray, keeps the WT fascists in control
Al Baron February 03, 2012 at 03:27 AM
Be careful with the law firm which you choose to work with. Some of these firms are only out to get your money. Make sure to do a complete check on the internet to be sure of what you are working with !! It is always best to work with a firm who specializes in the area that you are involved.
ayla July 30, 2012 at 09:10 PM
Dear Mr. Einhorn My mother inlaw and her husband where building a roof over there mobile home but a cop stoped them from doing it


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »