- It's a new year and time to work toward a new you. If you've resolved to get in shape, the J-Town Curves wants to get you started with "Biggest Loser" trainer Jillian Michaels' Weight Loss Kick Start. Michaels has partnered with the fitness chain, and its franchises, including the Jefferson Township gym, are bringing her fat-burning workout to women. The J-Town Curves starts the Jillian Michaels offering Monday, and to celebrate, it's giving newbies a free week to get the resolution to lose pounds off to a rousing start. Curves is at 5 Bowling Green Parkway in Lake Hopatcong. For more info, call 973-663-4433.
- Ronnie's Dance Studio wants to help your resolution to get fit too. Every Monday in January, the studio presents Dance for Your Life, a class that offers a total workout covering medium-high impact aerobics, toning and more. The cost for the four-week program is $35. Call Ronnie's at 973-398-0098 to see if spots are still available. Ronnie's Dance Studio is in nearby Andover at 393 Maxim Drive.
- The Jefferson Township Council reorganization meeting, originally scheduled for Jan. 2, was snowed out, so it has been moved to Monday at 7 p.m. In addition to administrative tasks such as electing a president and vice president, the body will issue a proclamation honoring local Eagle Scout Award winners Timothy Nicholas Luciano and Andre J. Remus. The council is also expected to take up a proposed resolution establishing a temporary budget for this year. The meeting takes place at the Municipal Complex, 1033 Weldon Road in Lake Hopatcong.
- Every Tuesday, the J-Towne Tavern presents Tacos and Trivia. The evening offers tacos for $2 each, plus trivia games and prizes. Sound like fun? Put on your thinking cap and get to the tavern Tuesday evening; the venue closes at 1 a.m. The J-Towne Tavern is at 5 Bowling Green Pkwy. in Lake Hopatcong.
- The Jefferson Township Recreation Department's school-based six-week Ski/Snowboard Program at Mountain Creek in Vernon kicks off Thursday. Township residents in grades 3 to 12 and their relatives and friends are welcome to take part. For a complete registration packet with club-specific log-in and password, JTHS students should see Biology teacher Gino Rose, JTMS students should see seventh grade Language Arts teacher Jessica Hoertel, Stanlick students should see Special Education teacher Amy Bush and White Rock students should see third grade teacher Christine Modula. Or stop by the Recreation Department office at 81 Weldon Road at Camp Jefferson Monday to Thursday between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Alternately, contact the office by telephone at 973-663-8404 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to get pricing info and registration instructions. Forms are also available in the display racks at the Jefferson Township Municipal Building, at the local library on Weldon Road or online at www.jeffersontownship.net.
- The Jefferson Township Public Library presents a literary event,A Taste of Poetry: Victorian Verse. The event is for adults to gather and talk about poems by authors including the Brontes, Stevenson, Hardy and Yeats. Registration is not required , and admission is free. The library is at 1031 Weldon Road.
- Nineties hitmaker Edwin McCain ("I'll Be," "I Could Not Ask for More") brings his Southern-tinged romantic soul songs and his inimitable voice to the area Friday when he headlines at the Newton Theatre. Come out for some great music at the Newton Theatre at 234 Spring St. in Newton. The show is Friday at 8 p.m. Tickets range from $27-$37 and may be purchased online.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something