- The federal Home Energy Assistance Program starts Monday. Any Morris County resident struggling to pay home energy bills can reach out for help through the program, which runs through April 30, 2014. The Morris County Organization for Hispanic Affairs is the agency facilitating assistance for those in the area needing help. This program is not just for the destitute—MCOHA has programs to help moderate-income households deal with electric and natural gas bills. For more info, call the agency at 973-361-7878 or visit its website.
- Jefferson Township hosts an Evening Free Dog Rabies Clinic Monday from 6:30-7:30 p.m. The event will take place at the Municipal Pound, 57 Minninsink Road in Lake Hopatcong. Be sure to ask about adopting a dog or cat, or making donations of items such as pet food and cleaning supplies, which are always needed. For more info, call the pound at 973-663-3241.
- The Jefferson Township High School Athletic Boosters Club holds its monthly meeting Monday. The sports moms and dads meet up at 6:30 p.m. at the school, 1010 Weldon Road in Oak Ridge.
- Tuesday is Election Day! This is a big one, folks, a gubernatorial election, and there will be races for the state legislature, the local school board and the Borough Council. Do your duty as a citizen: Get informed and use your voice at the ballot box. Polls are open Tuesday from 6 a.m.-8 p.m. And be sure to keep an eye on Patch after the polls close for results. Important note: Borough offices will be closed for Election Day.
- The Jefferson Township Public Library wants you to Explore World Cultures through Dolls. See dolls from all across the globe at this cool free event, scheduled for Tuesday at 7 p.m. The library is at 1031 Weldon Road.
- It's the White Rock School's turn to promote reading. The Scholastic Book Fair comes to the elementary school Wednesday. From 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., books will available for purchase in the school's Media Center, 2 Francine Place in Oak Ridge.
- Parent alert: The New Jersey Education Association Teachers' Convention takes place at the end of the week, which means public schools will be closed Thursday and Friday.
- Forget about waiting to see Mr. and Mrs. Claus at the end of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade—the holiday season is already underway. Take in the wonder of the season with fellow J-Town residents—and, since schools are closed, your kids—on Friday, when Jefferson Recreation sponsors a bus trip to Radio City Music Hall's Christmas Spectacular in New York City. The annual extravaganza features the aforementioned St. Nick and the leggy Rockettes and is just a big bunch of glittery fun. The trip will offer time for sightseeing in addition to the 5 p.m. show, and tickets are available at a discounted group rate. Tickets are $74 per person. Buses leave at 8:30 a.m. sharp: Two buses will leave the Jefferson Township Middle School parking lot, 1000 Weldon Road. A third bus departs from Rockaway Townsquare Mall's outer parking lot by pole numbers 13-18, across from Cold Stone Creamery and Verizon. The buses will head back to the township promptly after the show ends at 7 p.m. Given the date, your best bet is to purchase tickets in person at the Recreation Department office, 81 Weldon Road at Camp Jefferson between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday. (Make checks payable to the Township of Jefferson.) You can also purchase using a credit card over the phone. Contact the Recreation Department at 973-663-8404 with any questions.
- It's finally here: The Lake Hopatcong Cleanup takes place Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon. More than 300 area residents have signed up to pitch in to help, and more volunteers are needed and welcome. All the information you'll need is available at the site of the Lake Hopatcong Foundation, www.lakehopatcongfoundation.org. If you have additional questions, contact the LHF office at 973-663-2500, or stop in at 37 Nolan’s Point Park Road in Lake Hopatcong.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something