- The Jefferson Lightning Youth Baseball Travel League holds tryouts Monday at 7 p.m. The event takes place at Ridge Fields, Ralph Ackerson Park, and a final tryout date will be next Monday. The league is looking for boys aged eight through 18 for spring competition. Those interested in becoming part of the league must attend at least two tryout dates. Tryouts are free. You must register online at http://www.j-lightning.com/.
- After Baby Comes is a nonreligious community group of mothers
that welcomes anyone with children of all ages from Jefferson Township and its surrounding areas. ABC is a diverse group of both stay-at-home moms and mothers who work outside the home who want to be home moms and working moms and want to get involved in the community. The group meets Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. at St. Thomas the Apostle Church, 5635 Berkshire Valley Road in Oak Ridge.
- A free Osteoporosis Screening is available Tuesday for Jefferson Township residents age 18 and over who have not been diagnosed with the condition. From 5-7 p.m., people can receive the Ultrasound Bone Densitometer heel test, along with education and counseling by a masters-level physical therapist. Appointments are necessary. Call the Jefferson Township Public Health Center, 1033 Weldon Road, at 973-663-0700.
- The Public Health Center also offers low-cost Female Cancer Screenings on Tuesday. At 6 p.m., Jefferson women 18 and up can receive pelvic and breast exams, pap smears, blood pressure checks, occult blood tests (for blood in stool), mammography referrals (if eligible), education and counseling. The cost is $20.
- Try your hand at painting with pastels on Wednesday. The Jefferson Township Public Library presents "Art Class: Pastel Painting" from 6:30-8:30 p.m. The class will help participants create a completed pastel painting using step-by-step instructions from painter Doris Schwint. Supplies are provided, and pre-registration is a must because space is limited. The library is at 1031 Weldon Road. Call 973-208-6244 for info.
- The Milton Tri-School PTA Meeting takes place Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Cozy Lake School's all-purpose room. This will be the group's second meeting of the year and the last opportunity to sign up for an organizational party. Signups will be held at the end of the meeting. You must be present to sign up. The school is located at 205 Cozy Lake Road in Oak Ridge.
- Jefferson Middle School holds its 6th Grade Welcome Dance for students Friday. The event, sponsored by the JTMS PTA, runs from 7-9 p.m. in the school cafeteria and gymnasium. We predict Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry, Jay Z, Taylor Swift/Ed Sheeran and Macklemore and Ryan Lewis will rock the house; have fun, kids. The school is at 1000 Weldon Road.
- The big kids get their turn Saturday at the traditional annual Jefferson Township High School Homecoming Dance. The event runs from 6-10 p.m. in the auxiliary gymnasium at the school, 1010 Weldon Road. If you're on the planning committee, set-up will take place from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Enjoy yourselves, Falcons.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something