- The Jefferson Arts Committee Community Arts Band holds a practice session Monday night at Jefferson Township High School. Rehearsal runs from 6:30-9:30 p.m. in the band room at the school, 1010 Weldon Ave.
- Also at JTHS, the Ski Team Booster Club has an evening meeting. The hour-long gathering starts at 7 p.m.
- Some news for Jefferson public school teachers and staff: Building representatives and executive board members of the Jefferson Township Education Association (aka the teachers' union) will be meeting at the high school Monday afternoon. The meeting is not for rank and file members. Minutes and information should be brought back to members as soon as possible following the meeting, according to a notice on the JTEA website.
- The Knights of Columbus Joseph F. Lamb #55 presents its 2014 Free Throw Championship Wednesday at White Rock School. Boys and girls from nine to 14 years of age are invited to come and compete on the basketball court. If you win, you could go far: Winners will progress to district, regional and state levels of competition in different age divisions. For more information call 973-208-7736. Admission is free. The event begins at 6:30 p.m. at the elementary school, 2 Francine Place in Oak Ridge.
- The Lake Hopatcong Foundation and Alice’s Restaurant host a Restaurant Night Fundraiser this week to support LHF mission to improve the lake for all who use it. Enjoy dinner at Alice’s on Wednesday from 5-10 p.m. and 15 percent of your check will be donated to the foundation. Alice’s is at 24 Nolans Point Road in Lake Hopatcong. For reservations, urged for parties of five or more, call 973-663-9600. For more information on LHF, contact 973-663-2500 or email@example.com.
- If you need help navigating the new Microsoft operating system, the Jefferson Library wants to help. On Friday, the library offers Windows 8 and 8.1 for Beginners. Instructor Seth Stephens will teach you how to use the new start screen, customize the screen to reflect your taste and add and remove Windows apps. The class runs from 9:30-10:30 a.m. at 1031 Weldon Ave. Register online. For info, call 973-209-1923.
- Experience living history as actor/singer Carmen Artis stars in a one-woman performance of "Let Freedom Ring: The Coretta Scott King Story" on Sunday. The show is described by the Jefferson Township Library as a "freedom concert" for adults that chronicles the civil rights movement through music and narrative. Artis portrays Coretta King in this living biography intended to fascinate, inform and entertain. Admission is free, but you are asked to register in advance, which can be accomplished online. "Let Freedom Ring" begins at 2 p.m. at the library, 1031 Weldon Ave. For more info, call 973-208-6244.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something