- Art in the Atrium’s 22nd annual exhibition in Morristown showcases the work of more than 25 African-American artists to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington. The exhibition "Your Crown Has Been Bought and Paid For'' features the art of James Denmark, whose acclaimed works of collage and watercolor will be on display. On Friday at 5 p.m., a special opening reception will be held to celebrate the artists and the art. Denmark will be on hand to speak at the reception. The festivities take place at the Morris County Administration Building And Courthouse on Court Street in Morristown. Admission is free and the public is invited.
- Learn about what organizers call "true freedom and peace." Parsippany Baptist Church is celebrating India's 65th Republic Day on Saturday at 4 p.m. The event commemorates the birth of the Constitution of India enacted Jan. 26, 1950 and offers a time of fun, fellowship and discovery. The free event takes place at the church, 1179 Littleton Road in Parsippany.
- Sammy Figueroa has long been regarded as one of the world's great musicians. Well-known for his versatility and professionalism, he is one of the few percussionists equally comfortable in a multitude of styles, from R&B and rock, to pop and bebop, to Latin, Brazilian and New Age. Check out Sammy Figueroa and His Latin Jazz Explosion when they perform Saturday at 8 p.m. at Centenary Stage in Hackettstown. Tickets are $22.50 for adults and students, $15 for those under 12. They can be purchased online or by calling the box office at 908-979-0900. Centenary Stage is located at 715 Grand Ave.
- Just because it's cold outside, doesn't mean you have to stay indoors. Consider taking a winter hike with REI Outdoor School. On Sunday's group outing, you'll learn about gear and clothing that can make your cold weather hikes more comfortable and enjoyable, as well as techniques to help you hike more efficiently. Also to be covered are skills such as route finding on snow covered trails. (Sounds to us like useful information during blizzard season.) The hike starts at 10 a.m. Sunday at the Pyramid Mountain Natural Historical Area, 124 Boonton Ave., in Boonton. Tickets are $55 for REI members and $75 for non-members. To register, head to http://www.rei.com/outdoorschool/280.
- Opera at Florham presents That's Amore!, a two-hour performance of operatic arias and Broadway standards sung by professional artists. Some of the songs being performed are from Verdi's "La Traviata," Puccini's "La Boheme," Mozart's "The Marriage de Figaro," Rodgers and Hammerstein's "South Pacific" and many more. The show begins at 3 p.m. Sunday at the Lenfell Hall in The Mansion at Fairleigh Dickinson University, 285 Madison Ave., in Madison. Light refreshments will be served at intermission. Organizers suggest coming early at 2 p.m. and bringing a light lunch. Tickets are $30 for general admission, $25 for seniors, $10 for students under 22. For tickets and information call Opera at Florham at 973-443-8620.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something